|Home - Contact Information Copyright 2007 - 2009 Future University Egypt . All rights reserved|
Faculty of Oral and Dental Medicine
Faculty Internship Program
The Faculty of Oral and Dental Medicine offers a fully accredited residency training program which is compulsory after graduation for licensure in addition to complementing and enriching the dental intern's experience. Fresh graduates are encouraged to spend their one year residency in our fully equipped up-to-date special clinics established within our facility. Rotations to the various clinical departments form basis of the program and the dental intern is provided with and encouraged, on permitted time, an opportunity for elective study, research, or participation in a suitable advanced clinical activity not already included in the program
Intern course is a 12 month residency with special emphasis in clinical dentistry. The internship is designed in such that the interns diagnose and treat patients in a setting which closely resembles a modern group practice.
The aim of the program is to give the intern the opportunity of gaining experience and advance aspects of general dentistry including diagnosis, radiology, oral medicine, periodontics, operative dentistry, removable and fixed prosthodontics, pediatric dentistry, oral surgery and local anesthesia, emergency and implant Dentistry.
1. To graduate proficient general dentists trained beyond the level of undergraduate education.
2. To develop the intern’s analytical skill and enhance their knowledge in order to deliver quality dental care in all the clinical disciplines of general dentistry, and make clinical judgments using evidence-based diagnoses and treatment planning.
3. To graduate proficient general dentists who understand the importance of life-long learning, professional development
4. Broaden the perspective of recent dental school graduate by giving them the opportunity to observe, assist, and experience techniques not common in the undergraduate curriculum
Upon completion of the program:
• The interns will demonstrate proficiency in clinical applications related to the dental care of patients.
• The interns would have had the experience to interact with various health practitioners in order to diagnose and treat patients.
• The interns will be familiar with the review of journals in different specialties of dentistry.
• The interns will have experience in diagnosing and treating dental emergencies.
Activities of the interns
1. The interns will diagnose and perform dental care to the patients.
2. Review of journal literature will occur on a biweekly basis in different branches of dentistry during the 12 month course.
3. The interns will present 2 documented cases to their fellow interns and faculty.
4. The intern residents will attend local, regional, national dental meetings.
5. The interns will attend different workshops throughout the 12 month program.
6. Implant program in the form of lectures, seminars and clinical cases is incorporated in the program.
7. In the first time in the Middle East, the student will be allowed to diagnose and treat an orthodontic case (within one year) and watching the treatment of difficult long cases. (More than one year)
8. Intern will attend general anesthesia program in the dental hospital.
General rules for internship students
1. The internship is a mandatory year for attaining the Bachelor degree.
2. All the interns will spend the 12month program at the Future university.
3. At the end of a 12 month successful months, the intern will receive a certificate of completion which will qualify him/her to obtain the Bachelor degree.
4. The interns will be divided in two groups working 3 days in the clinic and one day attending seminars and journal club.
5. The working hours from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
6. Each department will set a minimum requirements that are mandatory for completion of the 12 month program.
7. Evaluation of the progress of the interns will be performed on a monthly basis.
Periodontics, Oral Medicine and Diagnosis and X ray
The intern should be proficient in the diagnosis of periodontal disease. They should be proficient in recording probing depth, CAL, recession, mobility and function involvement and the prognosis of the teeth. They should be proficient in delivering the hygienic phase .They should understand the objective and the different available periodontal surgeries. The intern should diagnose recognize an abnormal lesion in the mouth and diagnose it.
1. The intern should be proficient in taking periapical radiographs and be able to interpret them
2. The interns will be interpret panoramic radiographs and in cone beam compute tomogram.
3. The interns will record all the different record in the pt chart
4. The interns will perform scaling and root planning with manual and ultrasonic instruments. The intern should perform at least 30 cases of scaling and root planning.
5. The interns will perform at least one surgical periodontal procedure
6. The interns will have the opportunity to observe, assist in periodontal surgical procedures.
7. Literature review will be provided
9. The intern will perform diagnosis and preliminary diagnosis in the screening clinic. At least 20 cases.
10. Basic didactic lectures will be provided to the interns
The intern should be proficient in different techniques and the different materials used in order to reconstruct the tooth with a filling.
1. The interns will perform Class I,. class II, class III, Class IV and class V.
2. The intern should perform at least 40 filings with the minimum of 5 cases of class II,III,V
3. The intern will observe, assist in using -----for inlays or onlays
4. Literature review will be provided in dental materials and operative dentistry
5. Basic didactic lectures will be provided to the interns
The interns should be proficient to diagnose irreversible puplitis, acute and chronic periapical abscesses and granulomas. They should manage the emergency treatment and perform root canal treatment to anterior teeth. They will treat as well premolars and molar.
1. Perform at least 15, one root canal treatment, documented by x- rays
2. Perform at least 4 cases of multi-rooted teeth
3. Review literature
4. They will observe and assist in Apicectomies performed by microscope
5. Interns will be trained to contemporary root canal cases using Endodontic Microscope.
1. Complete dentures
3. Crown and bridges
The intern should be able to manage the behavior of the children. The interns should be able to diagnose and perform treatment on primary and permanent teeth.
1. The interns will perform 15 operative cases, 10 pulpotomies and root canal if needed.
2. At least 15 fillings and five pulpotomies
3. Literature review
4. Can observe, assist cases performed in general anesthesia.
Oral Maxillofacial Department
The interns should increase their skill of performing different techniques of local anesthesia and extraction of teeth and remaining roots
1. At least extraction of 40 teeth and or remaining roots
2. Assist and observe in minor oral surgical procedures
3. Each intern will attend a round of days? In the university hospital to observe major oral and
maxillofacial surgeries and to be familiar with the setup of general anesthesia
4. Didactic lectures and review articles